There is nothing quite like seeing a larger than life star up on the silver screen. America has been fascinated with celebrities since the dawn of the film era more than 100 years ago. During that time, we’ve come to expect a certain “perfect” look to our stars and starlets.
Sometimes, though, a star with a unique look catches our attention and wins our admiration. Here are 8 of them, with a special focus on their smiles – because we are dentists, after all!
- Clint Howard – Clint Howard is one of those actors who you may not know by name, but when you see him you realize you’ve seen him in a million movies. He’s no matinee idol and he knows it, but he’s also one of the nicest, most talented guys in Hollywood. His smile is more than a little unusual, and that’s a big part of his charm.
- Julia Roberts – Julia Roberts is known as the “Pretty Woman” of Hollywood thanks to a big, bold smile that is larger than life. When she smiles wide, it’s as big as a fireworks display. No one has a smile like she does, which is one of the reasons why she’s a silver screen legend. Any dentist in Ocean County, NJ would be honored to have her as a patient.
- Miley Cyrus – For Miley, it’s not as much her smile that’s unconventional, it’s what she does with it that sets her apart. Like a young, female Gene Simmons (the famous bassist for the rock band KISS), she makes it a point to wag her enormous tongue any chance she gets. Smiles don’t get much more non-traditional than that.
- Kirsten Dunst – Dunst is an extremely talented actress who also boasts unconventional beauty, in part because she has the sort of smile you don’t often see in Hollywood. Look close and you’ll see why her teeth have earned her some cruel nicknames. She rises above it, though, through sheer talent and beauty that defies trends. And she’s a local! Dunst went to school in Point Pleasant before she rose to stardom.
- Anna Paquin – This True Blood star got as much attention as a child actor for her gap-toothed smile as she did for her talent. Paquin bucked Hollywood trends and decided to keep her smile just the way it is, gap and all, even though any dentist near Manahawkin, NJ could correct it for her. It has since become a signature part of her look, proving that unconventional and attractive are not opposites.
- Jim Carrey – The elastic-faced Jim Carrey is one of the funniest comedic actors of our time, and much of the credit has to go to his shape shifting facial abilities. If Carrey has a traditional smile, it’s usually hidden behind the kind of face-bending antics that few can imitate and none can match.
- Gary Busey – Gary Busey’s teeth are big. Really big. They’re a perfect fit for his eccentric personality, though, which is probably why he got extra large veneers to replace his teeth after a 1988 motorcycle accident. That big smile was too important a part of his image to “fix!”
- Ed Helms – He’s the toothless goof from The Hangover comedy films, the guy who made getting a tooth pulled out hilarious. He makes the list because there were no special effects used in the movie. He really did pull his tooth out! It turns out Helms has dental implants and temporarily took one out for the movie.
Did we forget anyone? Tell us in the Facebook comments and maybe we’ll include them in a future post!