We know you want whiter teeth. We all do. The confidence that comes with having a nice smile is hard to overestimate.
Modern teeth whitening treatments can help you get the nice, white teeth you’ve always wanted, but if you hope to keep that bright smile you should avoid eating or drinking too much of this:
- Red Wine – Red wine has some health benefits when enjoyed in moderation, but it can also wreak havoc with your teeth. It’s no surprise that so many red wine fans end up seeking teeth whitening treatments. Years of the good stuff can be a fun part of your social life, but a bad part of your dental life.
- Coffee – We know this is bad news fore many of you! As much as many of us don’t like to hear it, coffee is one of the worst culprits when it comes to staining your teeth. It may be the morning go-to for half of America, but it’s also one of the worst things for our bright smiles.
- Tea – Sorry, caffeine lovers, switching from coffee to tea does not change things in this regard. In fact, tea can be even more abrasive on your teeth than coffee. High in tannins and rather acidic, too much tea in your diet can be bad news for your teeth. The good news is, black tea is the primary culprit. Switching to green, white and herbal teas can help.
- Cola – This is something we all learned as kids: all the sugar in soda will rot your teeth. What they didn’t tell us is that cola can stain your teeth, too. The sugar, dye, coloring and other ingredients of cola means you’ll be seeking need teeth whitening if you are a regular soda drinker and you want to maintain a bright smile.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are a part of a healthy diet. High in antioxidants, they’re some of the very best fruit to eat – except when it comes to your teeth. Blueberries are high in tooth-staining colors, which is why they have historically been used in dyes. Blackberries, raspberries and other dark berries have similar qualities, though blueberries are more potent than all of them. They’re good for you, so keep eating, just be sure to brush when you’re done!
- Tomato Sauce – Sorry, everyone, we love tomato sauce too, but that traditional red sauce has qualities that can contribute to stained teeth. The acidic nature of tomatoes along with with their deep red color means if you want a whiter smile, you may want to see your dentist in Southern Ocean County after long years of eating Italian food.
All of this may seem like bad news, but it’s not. Most of the above food and drinks have good health qualities (though you should skip the cola!), and their staining effects can be reversed by modern teeth whitening treatments. Remember, consume them in moderation, practice good oral hygiene, and you can have a great smile your whole life long.Tags: Manahawkin, teeth whitening, white teeth, whiter teeth